Thursday, June 21, 2007

Ghost or Squirrel or Ghostsquirrel

We have lived in this house for about 1.5 years and I have never been as afraid as I was last night.
There have been times when I thought I saw "something" out of the corner of my eye. In every case, the image evaporated as quickly as it appeared and I brushed off the whole event.
My evening began with a similar experience. I was putting the kids to bed when out of the corner of my eye I saw a small child run into my daughter's room. I thought it was my three year old son, Simon, out of bed and it didn't concern me much until I remembered my daughter's door was closed. Hrmmmm
So, I checked on the kids and put went to the basement confident that my son was in a deep sleep. Once in the basement I heard the familiar thump, thump, thump of my son's feet racing across the hardwood floor. My husband, Steve, groaned and said "Simon's up."
So, I went upstairs to put him back in bed and found him exactly as I had left him; asleep and breathing deeply. I checked on my daughter and found her near sleep. She hadn't been up recently. Even the cat was asleep on my bed as he was when I was folding laundry earlier that evening.
I returned to the basement and gave Steve the lowdown. He then became convinced there was someone in the house so we searched every room, closet, under beds, etc.
This sort of activity has always had the opposite effect on me as you might expect. Instead of calming me down it gives me the super creeps.
Anyhoo, we later went to bed and I fell asleep fairly quickly. About 2 hours later I woke to pee and as I tried to fall back to sleep I heard the deep slow voice of a man say "Dead."
Logic tells me that it must have been my husband talking in his sleep or perhaps a snore that I misinterpreted to sound like the word "dead." I have to tell you that the voice sounded unearthly, as if it were coming through speakers or something. Mostly to reassure myself, I asked Steve if he was "ok." He growled at me for waking him. The voices definitely didn't match.
About 3 minutes after the spook voice, Simon came running in the room and got into bed with us. There was nothing creepy about his behavior since he does it nightly, however his pitter patter down the hall reminded me of the thumping we heard in the basement and added to my anxiety.
Simon slept very restlessly in my bed. He twitched and kicked and thrashed about so I was awake most of the night. Probably about 2 hours after the "dead" voice, I heard a scratching in the wall behind my head. I ran my own nails against the wall to compare the sounds and they were not the same. The sound was coming from the inside of the wall. I know this one could be a critter so it scared me less than the other events, however my anxiety was so high at this point it prevented me from falling back to sleep until near dawn.
Now, I confess to often scaring myself with my own imagination but last night was soooo spooky and even Steve felt the fear. Even typing this story out gives me goosebumps, as if now that I've written and shared the story I can't pretend it never happened.
So, my questions to you are...
1. Can a ghost move into a house? Cause we've lived here for so long with out so much activity.
2. How long do you think a ghost would stay dormant?
3. Do you think I've just been playing to much Luigi's Mansion?

Please share you comments and stories. Should I go out and get myself a paranormal sensitive dog? Reassure me... tell me I'm nutso...

No comments: