Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Agent Pet Peeve Violation

I recently read a blurb on What NOT to Do When Beginning Your Novel: Advice from Literary Agents.” The article was not a list of the “The Top Ten,”  or even a "Most Common Complaints" but simply a list of individuals' pet peeves. It was informative and reassuring until I saw.. screeech... my intro… my opening line… the words I’ve loved since the inception of this novel... seem to fall into one category. 

My line:
My name is Carys Barbour, and I’ve just stubbed my toe on the corner of the most peculiar birthday present a girl could receive from her friends and family.


Pet Peeve:
“I don’t like an opening line that’s ‘My name is…,’ introducing the narrator to the reader so blatantly. There are far better ways in Chapter 1 to establish an instant connection between narrator and reader.”
- Michelle Andelman, Regal Literary



Ahhhhh! Is my opening line a clear sign of amateur writing, or is this simply an annoyance to one agent who submitted a response?
Here’s the thing, I’m not at all opposed to changing my writing for an agent or editor who thinks different words would better suit, even if it hurts my feelings. My title, for instance, is underwhelming. I welcome the inevitable title suggestions. I’ll blog that later.
Should I rewrite the opening lines before submitting my sample chapters or write the story I want and then change it, should the suggestion be made? I just don’t want to turn people off to the rest of the writing, right away. Any advice would be appreciated.

I promise the rest of my blog posts will not be insecure ramblings of a newb. 


Sambuchino, Chuck. "Writer Unboxed » What NOT to Do When Beginning Your Novel: Advice from Literary Agents." Writer Unboxed. Writer Unboxed, 22 Apr. 2013. Web. 26 June 2013.

No comments: