Thursday, February 15, 2007

Troubles

Have I written my 1000 words today? Nope...

I still plan to and in my defense I've been busy being a wife of deathly ill uber baby husband and mother to preschooler with a delayed Valentine's Day party.

Today I'll provide some vague details on my current WIP. I have two. Both are YA (Young Adult) novels and one is a tad more hip than the other.

I've just started one novel based on a whimmy little idea I had while taking a shower. It's fun, fresh and very timely so I need to get on it asap. I'm currently at approx 3000 words. I have a long way to go.

The other wip is my love. It's the first in a trilogy, includes a female protagonist and is an interesting mix of YA and Fantasy. It's Harriet Potter meets Clan of the Cave Bear meets Bridget Jones. I'll give no more details on the content of the novel except that it is half finished but with my new resolution to stop procrastinating I should finish the draft this Spring.
The problems that plague my writing are the following:
TENSE... Maintaining the correct tense throughout a lengthy novel is difficult for me. At least I'm aware of this problem and I keep it in my radar as I edit.
WORD COUNT... My novels are very dialog driven and I seem to be headed toward a low word count. I'm a little over half finished and I'm sittin' on approx 27,000 words. I was hoping for at least 60,000. I need to give an editor plenty of hacking room, right? I've read inconsistent opinions from the industry on minimum word counts. I suppose I should just write the story and let an agent or editor tell me if I need more.. or less.
SPELLING... erm.. I'm a writer who can't speel (sic) It's true.
PROOFREADING.. I can not proofread my own work until more than a month has passed, otherwise I see nothing wrong with the following sentence: "I fell threw the open door and everyone gaped at at the whole in my pants." I can edit the work of others but not my own.

Alright, that's all for now. I'm going to write my 1000 words for the day. Woohooo! I've got some motivation and a Healthy Choice pizza in the microwave!

No comments: